To stay as happy as we are now, to have the time we want together as a family and to live sustainably on our own land. That's it really, the simple, good life. ***Disclaimer at end of post
- a simple warm and cosy home
- half an acre or more of land to call our own
- chickens, ducks and a pond
- a fruit orchard, apples mostly
- small forest for wood, wildlife and a treehouse
- bee hives for honey and beeswax for candles
- dairy goats for milk and cheese
- Itty Bitty Book Co studio
- pollytunnel and greenhouse for veg and chillies
- big kitchen to cook, bake and be the heart of the home
- diverse year round herb and flower garden
- reliable income from endeavours that we are passionate about
We leave John Seymores' bible, oh I mean book, open on this page as a visual reminder of the type of thing we are working towards. It's his 'new book of self sufficiency' - brilliant, practical and inspiring.
We realised that we just couldn't stay working for other people and have the time we wanted with our son, each other and to dedicate to our lifestyle, although we would have been able to buy our smallholding by now, those first 2 points are far more important to us and worth delaying the last.
So we chose the thing we were most passionate about and created a business out of it. 3 years on we feel like that was the best decision ever, the line between work and play is often blurred in our days, we each spend more quality time per week with Ché Phoenix than we do 'at work'. Our business is now providing us (and 1 employee) with a comfortable wage and purposeful work that we love... Gratitude is overflowing in our home :)
We are big believers in enjoying each day, focusing on the positives and enjoying the journey to the dream...
*** Over the years since I named this blog I've found myself actually 'living my dream' without having even close to everything on that list. I've realised that the journey is all we ever have, and if I wake up happy, have purpose, am surrounded by family, friends and love - well, that's my dream and I have it :) But! As an ambitious couple who will never settle there'll always be more of the journey to share!